BIO 230 MIDTERM EXAM REVIEW
|1) The study of tissues is called|
|2. Ultrasound, X-rays, CT, and MRI are all examples of:|
|3. A group of cells with similar structure and function, together with the extracellular substances located between them, form a(n)|
|4. The basic living unit of all plants and animals is the|
|5. Which organ system removes substances from the blood, combats disease, maintains tissue fluid balance, and absorbs fat from the digestive tract?|
|6. Which organ system consists of hormone-secreting glands, such as the pituitary and thyroid glands?|
|7. Which of these characteristics of life helps maintain homeostasis when environmental conditions change?|
|8. Development is a process that begins with fertilization and ends with|
|9. Given these terms related to negative-feedback: 1. control center 2. effector 3. receptor 4. response 5. stimulus Arrange them in the correct order as they operate to maintain homeostasis.|
|10. body temperature of 98.6 degrees F (37 degrees C) is the __________ for body temperature.|
|11. Which of type of processes illustrates positive-feedback?|
|i.e…||increase in respiratory rate during exercise ?|
|increase in heart rate when blood pressure decreases?|
|shivering when body temperature decreases?|
|increase in uterine contractions when uterine stretching increases during childbirth?|
|12. Failure of negative-feedback mechanisms to maintain homeostasis|
|i.e.||may produce disease?|
|occurs when blood pressure increases during exercise?|
|can be corrected by stimulating positive-feedback mechanisms?|
|cannot be corrected by medical therapy?|
|13. According to the concept of negative feedback, a slight increase in blood pressure causes what to heart rate?|
|14. To maintain homeostasis, the normal range of values for a variable is what?|
|i.e.||is always below the set point?|
|may change in different situations?|
|may not deviate from the set point?|
|occurs because of positive-feedback?|
|15. A term that means “away from the midline” is:|
|16. Which of these descriptions does NOT apply correctly to a person in the anatomic position?|
|17. The scapula (shoulder blade) is __________ to the lung.|
|18. The elbow is __________ to the wrist.|
|19. The nose is __________ and __________ to the ears.|
|20. Directional Terminology:|
|21. Pancreatitis describes?|
|22. A person lying flat on his back is said to be in the __________ position.|
|23. Given these directional terms: 1. caudal 2. cephalic 3. distal 4. inferior 5. proximal|
|24. Which of these anatomical terms refers to the ankle?|
|25. Which of these anatomical terms refers to the shoulder?|
|26. The only plane that can divide the body into equal halves is the:|
|27. A(n) __________ plane divides the body into superior and inferior portions.|
|28. A cut across the long axis of an organ made at other than a right angle is called a(n):|
|29. In which quadrant of the abdomen would stomach pain most likely be felt?|
|30. Which of these structures is NOT found in the mediastinum?|
|31. Which of these statements concerning body regions is correct?|
|32. The cavity surrounded by the rib cage and bounded inferiorly by the diaphragm is the|
|33. The lungs are separated by the:|
|34. Serous membranes can be described:|
|35. The serous membrane on the surface of the lungs is called:|
|36. Which organs are in retroperitoneal cavity?|
|37. Given these serous membranes: 1. parietal pericardium 2. visceral pericardium 3. parietal peritoneum 4. visceral peritoneum 5. parietal pleura 6. visceral pleura A man had a knife wound that penetrated the abdomen, passed through the stomach, and hit the diaphragm, but did not pass all the way through. Arrange the serous membranes in the correct order as the knife passed through them.|
38) _____________ investigates the body’s structure, whereas __________ investigates the processes or functions of living things.
|39. A muscle fascicle is a bundle of:
40. The connective tissue wrapping around a muscle that is continuous with tendons is the:
79) A group of tissues that performs a specific function is a(n)
71) The outermost layer of the skin is the
73) The protein that helps protect the skin and underlying tissue is
75) What are accessory organs?
82) At a neuromuscular junction,
83) Function of muscles?
86) The stages in muscle contraction include a
97) Perspiration is the substance produced by
112) The thymus gland is located in the ________ cavity.
114) The medial malleolus is a projection at the ankle of the:
117) The myocardium is the;
120) The cartilaginous nasal septum is anterior to which bone?
121) The nasal sinus located between the nose and the orbits is the:
122) Which are the elements that primarily make up the body’s mass?
123) The largest muscle of the upper calf is the:
124) The muscle that flexes and supinates the forearm and covers the anterior portion of the upper arm is the:
126) The walls of the vagina are lined with:
128) The mandible articulates with which bone?
130) Keratinocytes are the predominant cells in the:
143) Which type of tissue forms glands?
144) The shaft of long bones is the ____.
145) The membrane that lines the medullary canal is the ____.
151. A bone break that pierces or ruptures through the skin is a ____.